Living in New Jersey, you’re no stranger to the impact of hurricanes and tropical cyclones, especially during September. These storms can bring chaos and uncertainty, but a well-prepared home can weather the worst of them. Beyond the usual checklist of food and water, there’s a vital aspect of preparedness that often goes overlooked: your plumbing. In this guide, we’ll simplify the essential plumbing preparations you need to stay ready for whatever Mother Nature throws your way.
1. Storing More Than Just Drinking Water
When preparing for a hurricane, remember that water isn’t just for drinking. You’ll need it for everyday tasks like washing dishes, doing laundry, personal grooming, and basic hand washing. So, it’s wise to store more water than you initially think you’ll need. Imagine it as your lifeline, ensuring you can maintain cleanliness and hygiene during the immediate aftermath of the storm.
2. Knowing Your Water Shut-Off Valve
Many folks assume they don’t need to worry about their hidden pipes, but knowing where your water shut-off valve is located can be a game-changer. Think of it as your floodgate control. In case your water line takes a hit during the storm, this simple step can prevent thousands of dollars in potential damage. So, locate it and keep it accessible.
3. Servicing Your Sump Pump
If your home has a crawl space with a sump pump, it’s crucial to have it serviced before hurricane season hits. Qualified technicians can ensure it’s set up properly and operating efficiently, often in a single visit. Consider giving it a backup power source, so it can still function during a power outage, which can be common during storms.
4. Securing Your Water Heater
Don’t overlook the water heater. Have a certified technician secure it to the wall in your utility area using earthquake straps. These straps are easy to install and ensure your water heater and expansion tank stay in place, even if a window breaks during a hurricane.
Taking the time to prepare your home and family now will provide you with unparalleled peace of mind during the hurricane season. In case the worst does happen, you can rest assured that you’re ready to face it head-on.
The Importance of Plumbing Preparedness
Plumbing preparedness is often underestimated during hurricane season preparations, but it can make a significant difference in your post-storm experience. Here’s why it’s crucial:
- Water Supply: Having an adequate water supply is essential not only for drinking but also for sanitation and daily chores. Extra stored water can help you maintain hygiene and cleanliness, reducing health risks in the aftermath of a storm.
- Damage Mitigation: Knowing the location of your water shut-off valve can prevent extensive water damage to your property. Quick action in case of a breach can save you from costly repairs and potential mold issues.
- Sump Pump Reliability: A serviced sump pump with a backup power source ensures that your home stays dry even during power outages or heavy rainfall. It’s your defense against flooding, protecting your property and belongings.
- Water Heater Safety: Securing your water heater not only prevents accidents but also potential gas leaks, enhancing overall safety during and after a hurricane.
Plumbing preparedness should be a fundamental component of your hurricane readiness strategy. These simple yet effective measures can have a significant impact on protecting your home, ensuring the safety of your family, and providing you with peace of mind throughout the storm season. Delaying these preparations until the last moment is not advisable – take proactive steps to make your plumbing hurricane-ready today. Always keep in mind that preparation is your strongest defense when confronting the unpredictable forces of nature. Prioritize safety above all else, and let your plumbing be your reliable partner in weathering the storm.
Don’t delay until a plumbing crisis occurs. It’s crucial, especially before the hurricane season, to reach out to professionals like the BJC Clifton Plumbers team. Their expertise can be a lifesaver for your home’s plumbing. By seeking their help in advance, you not only ensure the integrity of your plumbing system but also fortify your home against potential hurricane-related damage. So, take action today to safeguard your plumbing, your wallet, and your peace of mind.